New feature to store/recall pitch/speed settings for songs OR new semitone slider that adjusts in clear audible steps

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Thanks so much for your program which I use all the time for rehearsing with songs which require pitch and speed adjustments.

Could I suggest 1 of 2 possible changes that would make the program so much easier and faster to use:

Some way of easily storing and quickly recalling the pitch and speed settings for individual songs.

If that is too difficult, could you provide 2 sliders instead of 1 to adjust the fine pitch and semitone pitch. And could these, especially the semitone pitch be clearly incremental steps and not sliding. At the moment the semitone adjustments are not in clear audible steps. This makes it very time consuming to tune properly. Even though the display says -2 semitones, it is never exactly 2 semitones.

Always have the fine and semitone pitch settings displayed on the screen. This would make it much easier to use also.

Thanks again.
Coordinator
Apr 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Hi Alistair7, thanks for your feedback.

I have solved all issues regarding any incorrect value with slider control, so for the next release you'll always have the accurate value.

I'm not sure yet about which way to follow about the pitch slider, because I'd wish to save as much space as I can on control display; so far I'm thinking about making a list of tracks with pitch and tempo values storable on user settings.
Apr 16, 2013 at 3:37 PM
A list of tracks with each track having its own pitch and tempo values stored in user settings would be great.

You could keep just the one slider for pitch control, but I would suggest then having 2 tiny windows that always show the 2 pitch values:
semitone ( eg. +2 -3 ) and cent ( eg. +58 -34)
One can then easily see at a glance what both settings are.
You don't need the long numbers like "58.3746565". They just take more room.

Thanks for your efforts.
Coordinator
Apr 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM
So far, for the version 3.0.0.0 I have fixed all the fx control's value in terms of accuracy. You can enable a separate slider to change pitch in cents.

In the future I will look to store pitch / tempo value in some way.

Best regards
Fabrizio Stellato
Apr 30, 2013 at 4:22 PM
That's great. Thanks.

Alistair
Coordinator
May 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Since version 3.2.0.0 you can now store individual tempo / pitch for each song. You must enable Enhanced Playlist Mode from Settings.
Jun 4, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Thanks. I have downloaded and installed both versions 3.2 and 3.3.
I have a few issues that I thought I might raise with you:

1 - both versions appear to have a bug in the "settings" windows. There appears to be text missing in at least 2 window tabs:

"Network" tab - there are 4 ticks at the bottom with no text next to them to explain what they activate or deactivate.

"Others" tab - no text at all!

2 - Under "Settings" where is the "Enhanced Playlist Mode" switch?

3 - In the playlist, I can see that the tempo and pitch info is being displayed for each song. But when I play each song, it does not play backback with those settings.
Is this what is meant to happen? Should I be putting these settings in manually each time I choose a new song in the playlist?
When I double click on a particular song, it plays back with default 0, 0, settings. If I single click on that same song and hit the play icon, it will not play that song, instead it will start playing the 1st song in the playlist.

4 - The new option to "save" the playlist. How should this be used? I don't understand it. If I close Impulse and then open it, all my previous song tempo and pitch info is still visible and correct, even though I have not "saved" the playlist. I have tried saving the playlist, but I can't see any option to load in such a saved playlist.
I assume that the function of these saved playlists is to make it possible to save for example 10 songs from one artist and 7 songs from another artist in two different playlists. But I cannot find any way of loading in different playlists.

I have windows 7 pro.

Good luck.
Jun 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM
I do not have both versions installed at the same time.
I uninstalled 3.2 and rebooted before installing 3.3.
By the way, is that necessary? Or can I just install over the top of the previous version?
Coordinator
Jun 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Edited Jun 4, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Hi Alistair7,

thank you for your feedback.

1) Honestly I can't say why settings doesn't look as it should.

I have tried this application either on Windows 7 and 8 without any glitch.
Anyway I will investigate on this.

2) Under "Others" tab. It's the first tick below Popup opacity slider.

3) Once you have activated Enhanced Playlist Mode, custom tempo and pitch values should be saved for each track.
In the other case, pitch and tempo will get the last value you set on the previous song.
About the play button: actually it's not meant to take the "focused" track, but just the "current track selected" (which could be other than the first). Btw I could change this behaviour, for example playing the focused track like you did expected.

4) Use the *.impls format playlist along with Enhanced Playlist Mode activated. The playlist save and load tempo / pitch values automatically. When you decide to save a playlist, this format is selected by default if you have checked the Enhanced Playlist Mode.
Jun 5, 2013 at 1:07 AM
2) that tick did the trick under the slider
Now all the tracks play back with the correct pitch and tempo.
That's a great improvement to have that working, a big help.

3) I think most people like myself will expect the focused track to play, so probably worth changing.

I've just discovered the problem with the missing "settings" text. It is only missing under shiny blue and shiny red. The others are fine.

I would say the program now has all the most important features that I need.
So I'm grateful for your efforts.
Coordinator
Jun 5, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Oh thanks this is a good news, indeed I already know that other themes than Expressions can cause UI instability but I didn't notice about this lack.

About the point 3 I will fix as you want it.

PS
About the update:
It's not important to uninstall the previous version, just install the new one that override it.
Jun 6, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Thanks
Jul 30, 2013 at 5:11 AM
Zenon66, thanks for this! I upgraded from Pitch & Shift due to the inclusion of the ability to adjust cents.

I'm extremely grateful for this tool! I studied interface design in school, and I understand the challenges. My constructive criticism is that I'd really like to see the values for semitone, cent, etc. Viewing those values only on hover is kind of a pain. Other buttons have no explanation at all and it would be useful for those to at least have something on hover so you know what the buttons do. I had to use trial and error to figure them out.

That's just constructive criticism. I'm very happy with this program overall and I appreciate your responsiveness above in this thread.

Cheers!
Coordinator
Jul 31, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Hi jc174.

Actually I see that some buttons should need a tooltip to explain its function.
In the other hand, having a value for pitch/shift fixed on the interface might result on make the UI more ugly.
BTW, for the next version I'll try to achieve a more legible UI, even for the mixer value.
Also about the mixer, a good idea might be to let choose from a preset of values; I'm looking for a valid and source but so far I didn't find any.

Actually I'm already busy on Ultimate Music Tagger for a great refactoring / improvement job.

Stay tuned anyway :)

Best regards
FS